Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 5 Voluntering

Today wasn't as busy as the other days have been. I only had to bring two patients down. Usually there would be at least 5, not including the ones that are there already when I arrive.

Site note: I arrived today and was greeted with food. Turns out there was some sort of meeting going on and they had been catered for. But that's not the point of the side note, the point is that a majority of them thought I was still in high school. I guess they have a lot of high school "volunteers." I quote volunteers because in high school we are made to volunteer somewhere for a set number of hours. Oddly enough I volunteered at Nathaniel Witherell when I was in high school. Go figure


One of the patients was a lady who could manager herself around fairly easily with out the wheel chair, but I insisted on letting her relax. Something that struck me as odd was that we had a small conversation as if we knew each other for years. Small jokes here and there, she would say something, and I would fire back with a witty comment. Little things like that made her smile and chuckle. I even got a "You're alright, Alberto" from her. Sort of like what you hear in the movies.

After her therapy, she took charge and decided to walk instead of having me push her. The only thing task I had to do was carry her tea because she was going to be pulling her oxygen tank in a small little trolley. So as we walked back, she decided that she wanted to stop by the small gift shop they have. She bought some snacks and some thank you cards, which turns out are for people all over the world. She worked in a hotel where visitors from all over the world would come, most being students. She stayed in contact with them and was telling me how some are having kids now and some are getting married. It was interesting and I can relate having studied abroad myself and living with a family. I carried her gift shop treats up and took her to her room. She pulled out a chocolate lollipop from The Little Chocolate Company(Picture at the end) that just opened up here in Greenwich, Feb 2nd and handed it to me. She thanked me for helping her out and keeping her smiling. I will be seeing her during my volunteering again tomorrow due to her having the same appointment.

I find a lot of random little things that I consider to be inspirational I guess you can say but here is a sign that was hanging around the fridge in the physical therapy room. I thought it made a good deal of sense. Thoughts?


Here is another that I thought was fun.


Lollipop!




And just for fun. I think I need a hair cut. Maybe tomorrows goal. This picture was taken this morning, I was out of it, don't judge.

No comments: